Water sports are one of the main activities in Sandakan as it is known for having spectacular beaches. When doing any kind of water sports like canoeing, surfing, body-boarding and even riding a boat it is essential to follow safety guidelines. Below are some of the guidelines that one should follow when riding in a boat:
Courtesy: 904 Happy Hour
- Never ride a boat without a safety jacket especially if you do not know how to swim. There are different kinds of safety jackets available and you should get the best one according to the type of boat you are travelling in.
- If you are operating the boat yourself, always check the safety equipment before starting your journey. To make the process shorter you should have a list of things so that you can easily know which essential equipment is missing.
- Always inform someone before going and inform then when you are expected to be back. This is because they can call authorities if you do not return at the specified time.
- Always check the weather predictions before going. Also prepare for all weather conditions as it can be very unpredictable and dangerous.
- Before going on a boat ride take training courses which are often available with Sandakan tour package. If you do not have experience of boating then it is better to take a professional with you.
- Make sure that you have a radio on board so you can easily communicate with safety guards on shore. Before starting the journey make sure the boat consists of distress signals, first aid kit and a fire extinguisher.
These are some safety tips that one should keep in mind while going for a boat ride.